Friday, August 12, 2011

To, An Old Protector.




You were strong. Stronger
Than three big men and a hammer,
A hammer you broke with your fortitude.
As my comrades and I struck again,
Blow by blow, your armour dented.
But your will held stubborn, firm.

My Kashmiri neighbour stopped hammering.
Took a deep breath, muttered expletives,
And commented that a will like yours
Could rid his region of her woes.
But that's just his Kashmiriness talking.
I'd rather you sat at Arthur's round table,
Going on missions to save fair maidens,
Or to slay dragons, evil sorcerers,
And National Debt.

Vipin, on my right, also a romantic,
On asking, said that he wished
He had a storeroom large enough
To hold everything he'd ever loved
And have you keep them in,
To never let them go.

The corridor light is out.
Tired, in the dark, I stare
At my open door, and you
Lying at my feet, noble; broken.
Lighting a hard-earned cigarette,
I muse over the naivety
Of my neighbour's thought:
Locks aren't for keeping things in,
They're for keeping them out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home